Sunday, February 22, 2015

Blog Post 3 - Paper Prototype Session Report

Goal of the game: to remove all of opponent's cubes from board.

Here are some basic rules of the game as an introduction:

Basic rules of game:
1. Ace card = allows to place ONE cube on board
2. Face card (King, Queen, Jack) = allows to MOVE a square on board with players' cube.
3. Must have a minimum of THREE cards on hand before the end of each turn, must continue to draw from players' deck until three cards minimum is reach.
4. Only a maximum of seven cards are allow on hand at the end of each turn, must discard if hand contains more than seven cards.
5. Each players during their turn are allow to discard cards ONCE and draw the SAME amount of cards.
6. Only 4 ace cards can be use in ONE game play
7. Only 1 face and ace card can be use PER turn

Starting the game:
1. Each player gets one die, one deck, and seven cubes.
2. Draw seven cards before rolling the dice.
3. Then each player place three cubes anywhere on the board.
4. Roll die to see which player goes first, the higher number of die will go first. Try again if both players gets equal dice number.
5. After knowing which player goes first, the game can officially begin by drawing an additionally three cards at the beginning of each players' turn.  

Battle Rules
1. Players can only battle if their control cube are in the square adjacent with opponent's cube's square.
2. To battle, both players must place a maximum of 3 cards, the highest points will win battle. The losing player must remove their control cube from square.
3. During a battle, if the player with a lower number points of card has THREE face cards, and additional battle will begin. In this battle, instead of cards, each players will roll their die to see who has higher number of die. Player with lower number of die will remove their control cube from square.  

EXAMPLE of GAME PLAY

In this game session, I play with my sister. We began by making sure we have all the supplies; two decks, two dice, 7 green cubes and 7 yellow cubes, and 5x5 tiles of square. Mai chose the yellow cubes while I got the green cubes. Additionally, Mai got the red die and I got the green die.

To begin the game, my sister, Mai, and I drew seven cards from our decks. Then we rolled our dice to see who has the higher number. Mai rolled a 12 while I got an 8. Mai began her turn by drawing three additional cards from her deck. After she ended her turn, I did the same thing. My current hand look like below. 

This continue on for another two round of turns. 

I decided it was time for our first battle. At the current time our board look something like the image below. 


Since two of my green cubes is adjacent to two of her yellow cubes. I am allow to declare a battle.We begin battle by placing three cards down from our hands to see who has the higher cards. My three cards were 8, 3, and 2. While Mai's cards were 8, 10 and 7. Since she has the higher cards, she won this battle. However, I knew I have low cards place but I had a back up plan. The rules states that if your battle cards are lower than the opponent then you can place three additionally face cards, if you have in your hand down to declare a second battle.



Our second battle look something like the above. I got a score of 13 and Mai got 25, but I place three more face cards to counter-attack. This means that we have to rolled our dice now to decide who wins. I rolled a 16 and she rolled a 12. This was my win. A side note to this method is that if Mai has three face cards as well and she played them, that means we have to roll the dice again to see who get the higher score to decide who win or loses. Since I won this round, Mai had to take her cube out of the square I was attacking the cube in.

Basically, this battle method continues on until the opponent loses all their cube on the board.

Reasons for certain rules of the game:
1. Choosing the 20 dice instead of the 6 dice because it gives the players a wider area to win with, six numbers is simply too small to have some fun with. This is a game of score after all, so the higher the number, the better it is.
2. Counter-attack with three face cards; while we play the game, we found out that with no counter, it was very easy to lose because we mainly use all the higher cards whenever there is a battle. There are only four 7, 8, 9, and 10. These didn't not last night after the game was play for a while. The player that uses a lot of the higher cards gets a higher chance of loosing so we decided to add the three face cards rule. Plus, we feel that it is more exciting when it comes to rolling the dice, it's then up to luck to win the battle.
3. Choosing 7 cubes; the board is only consist of 25 squares to move, therefore, limited in space, so we short it down to just seven cubes per player. 

What do you think...?

No comments:

Post a Comment